October 25, 2007

Waiting For Evan



This picture above is Evan at 28 weeks in utero... I e-mailed this sonogram picture, but wanted to include this amazing picture on the blog! This is a 4-D sonogram picture and we can't believe that this was Evan two months before he was born! What a miracle. It's so neat how he already looks so much like the little man that is with us now; a beautiful little boy (and he still loves having that left hand up by his face)... And now on with the blog!



So I'll warn you... this particular blog will probably be very long-winded and detailed, so only the truly bored need read. This entry is more for me and my journaling... so don't be surprised to get half-way done and be sick of it already. Ha! But here are a few of my thoughts as we awaited the arrival of Evan.

Evan was almost three weeks early, so I didn't get a chance to blog about Evan's wonderful baby showers and the wonderful ways that we celebrated Evan before he was even here! He was loved beyond measure the moment the test was positive!

So, just a little reflection... about 2 1/2 years ago Erick and I had "the talk" about whether or not we wanted anymore children. Well, we came to the conclusion that we were perfectly happy with a family of three... we felt very blessed and didn't really have that "urge" for another baby. We didn't want to have another child just because everyone says you should have more than one. And so what did we do - of course, we got rid of every baby item that we had been storing in the house (I mean, this stuff was taking up valuable closet space)! We had two garage sales, gave a bunch to friends and then donated the rest of our baby gear. We were done having kids! Or, so we thought...



Then a year passed and I honestly began to feel in my heart that we weren't done after all... I just pictured us with another member of our family. I even began to picture two boys growing older and having their own kids and us having these great family holidays... I honestly wanted lots more kids all of the sudden! And that feeling didn't go away; it only got stronger. Well, Erick was up for anything, so another child it was - or at least we'd give it the good ol' college try! We had actually thought about moving to a little bigger house where we could have a playroom... so we put our house on the market and decided we'd start trying for a baby in a few months. Talk about a life change! In February of 2007 we sold the house and found out we were pregnant! What an exciting and truly amazing time for our family.



It really was fun being pregnant again... the maternity clothes were so much cuter six years later. Hee hee! Pregnancy is just such a miracle - I mean, that you are growing an entire human being is just miraculous - truly the greatest gift from God. It's a concept that overwhelms my little brain; such a precious honor to be given a child - whether you birth a child or are blessed and generous enough to raise and care for a child that you did not bear. Having children just makes you feel purposeful, like you are carrying on God's plan for this world. We only hope that we will walk the path that God has chosen for us and raise Godly men in Preston and Evan. It just makes you want to have a whole bushel of kids. Just kidding... we are blessed with the two we have... we'll see what the future holds. But I really tried to enjoy every moment of the pregnancy, it does go by so fast. I already miss it. But I don't miss the heartburn or sleepless nights. I am actually getting way more sleep now with a newborn. Of course, I got as big as a house (as you can see)... a big, round, baby boy belly again.



So in May we found out we were having another boy and we were so happy - Preston would have a brother! So now, we really needed to start getting ready for a baby in the house and we had absolutely nothing! Preston was just about to turn six years old and we were literally starting all over again. Were we crazy? We were going back to sleepless nights, diapers, bottles, baby food, the terrible twos (and threes and fours I might add!)... but honestly, I was so elated and couldn't wait for it! And it is as wonderful as I could have ever imagined; having two boys is a pure joy. God is good.



So with nothing for this little man we were expecting, we had great friends that wanted to throw showers for us. The first shower we had was given by my four best girlfriends - Susan, Tasha, Sue and Kim... it was just for the girls. It was so fantastic having all my friends and family together to celebrate Evan's upcoming arrival! We got so many great things for him; everyone's generosity is truly appreciated. Our apartment is literally cram-packed with all sorts of fabulous baby gear for Evan. Thank you so much!





At the shower, I meant to take a moment to introduce all of the hostesses and tell everyone about our friendships, but it was a whirlwind and before I knew it people were having to say their good-byes. So, I'll take a moment now to introduce my four greatest friends who hosted my wonderful shower. All of these friends are so very important to me and I feel so lucky to know them all:


Pictured Above: Susan, Sue, ME and my belly and Tasha (Kim will be photo-shopped in!)

Susan: Susan is the sister that I never had, but have now. We have been friends for over 11 years now. We met while working together at a dental insurance company and were friends from the first moment we met. She was my Matron of Honor in our wedding, she is Preston and now Evan's God Mother and she has been there for us no matter what. I couldn't ask for a better friend. Before kids, we used to work out together, do dinner, do date nights with the husbands, and we have all sorts of traditions. Every year we do haunted houses together, go to First Monday in Canton, go see Christmas lights, try to go to the Fair, stroll Northpark during the holidays. Susan and her family are really our family. Whenever we get a chance to go out with Susan and her husband we always have the best time and just laugh about the silliest things - we affectionately call some of them "Susanisms". These days, we spend our time taking the kids on play dates and watching them grow up together. We still squeeze in a few date nights and girls nights though! Susan and I both got into scrapbooking last year, so we love going on scrapbook retreats whenever we can. We've taken vacations together - twice to Vegas with no kids and then to Florida with the kiddos. Together, Susan and I did the 3-Day Walk for breast cancer last year; I can always talk her into my crazy ideas! She is the one person (besides Erick) that I can truly be myself around and I am always completely honest with her and lean on her for just about everything. Susan is my best friend and I wouldn't trade her for anything. We love you, Aunt Susan.

Tasha: Tasha and I actually met through our husbands. Erick and Tasha's husband (Travis) were roommates down in College Station. So, I actually knew Tasha's husband before she did! But Tasha and I met 8 or 9 years ago. Then we both started building houses in Frisco and joined the same church and started forming our own traditions. We both found out we were pregnant with our first children within weeks of each other, so we bonded being pregnant together. Preston and her oldest, Mason, are just five weeks apart and have always been great buddies. Tasha actually kept Preston when he was young while I worked part-time. Tasha is an amazing Godly mother and wife and she is always going out of her way to do things for you. She is also the person that got me into scrapbooking and I have since become addicted! She is my scrapbooking buddy and we also go to retreats and shop for goodies together as much as we can. We take our boys on all sorts of playdates together - you name the play place and we've been there together. She and I are always up for taking the boys somewhere fun... we actually all went to DisneyWorld together this past Spring. We still go to church together and have lunch afterwards every Sunday. Tasha and I confide in each other for so many things and we have a really special friendship that I know we'll have forever. Thank you for everything, Aunt Tasha.

Sue: Well, Sue and I met through a MOMs group when our oldest were born... so six years now. Wow, it seems like yesterday sometimes. Her oldest, Avery, and Preston have been such great friends and have truly grown up together - I'd probably consider Avery Preston's first best friend. They would take turns spending the night at eachother's houses and we consider her one of the family and tote her around for all sorts of fun stuff - their favorite is Chuck E. Cheese. I just can't say enough positive things about Sue - she is the kind of person that you aspire to be like, really. She is so kind and generous and would just do anything for you. She is also the busiest woman that I know. She works full-time as a Nurse Practitioner and has 3 girls - ages 1, 4 and 6. She lives on literally 3 hours of sleep every night and is a religious runner. She is so very smart, which sometimes makes me bug her with silly medical questions - but she is always happy to answer them! Sue does so much for her family - both immediate and extended. She is always planning some great adventure or party for someone. She honestly puts other people first. Preston just adores Sue and her husband, Eric. They are such great people - we don't spend nearly enough time with them. But we do have our MOMs night tradition still going strong... once a month we get together for pedicures, dinner and a movie or shopping. It's a great night away to catch up. I hope that 30 years from now we'll all still be here in Frisco and be able to say that our kids have literally known each other since birth and are all still good friends. I know that Sue is my friend for life.

Kim: I also met Kim in the MOMs group when Preston was born. Kim, Sue and I have become great friends over the last six years and our kids genuinely love each other and we have all spent lots of great times together. Kim is my creative genius girlfriend. She is always creating some masterpiece - her specialty is decorating. She is always re-creating rooms in her gorgeous house and a few years ago started her own decorating business. In fact, she and I have partnered on a couple of jobs and had a great time being creative and spending time together. Kim moves at the speed of light and always has a full plate. She is a hairstylist and decorator by profession and has two beautiful boys - ages 6 and 3. Kim really loves life and is so much fun to be around. Kim is a shopaholic like me and we're always calling each other about great "finds". There is nothing fake about Kim, she is simply herself and great. She makes you feel like a better person because she tells you how great you are everytime you see her. She has such a contagious personality and is there for you no matter what. I know that I could call Kim at anytime with anything. She even sees movies with me that I know she doesn't want to see! Hee hee! She is one in a billion and I don't ever want to know life without her.

So, I have great friends and my friends are definitely my family. And although I didn't grow up with a stable immediate family, I will say that there have been family members that have always been there for me and I was so honored that they were at the shower - pictured below: My Aunt Linda, cousins Tiffany and Erika and second cousin, Chandler. These ladies are so very special to me and I enjoy every moment I get to spend with them. I was also so extremely happy that my foster mother, Glenda (Mamaw), was there. I honestly think of her as my mother and I would not be where I am today without she and her husband. They are my heroes. And though she's not pictured, my favorite person growing up was my cousin, Carisa. She and I would spend summers together goofing off - I have so many memories, including watching "Grease" a few thousand times and dancing to the "Thriller" video just as many times. I loved seeing her at the shower. Thank you all for coming and making the day so special.



All of my friends, thank you. Thank you for the gifts. Thank you for being my friends. Thank you for your prayers, the meals, the calls, the e-mails. Thank you for all the wonderful times we've shared and the times we have yet to share with each other. Thank you for everything. You are all so special to me. If I had the time, I'd write about each and everyone of you in this blog! I know that you will all play a special part in Evan and Preston's lives. We love you.

Well, I did say we had two showers, didn't I? And the second shower was just as special and thrown by Daddy's friends... his office! The girls in his office were so very, very sweet to host a shower for Evan. It really meant so much to us that they would go out of their way and plan such a party. We had another great pirate-themed shower (Evan's room theme) and of course, were showered with great gifts, food and friends. And this shower was extra special because Preston came to this one and got to share in the celebration of his little brother... and of course, they all showered him with big brother presents. He's loving this big brother thing so far! Thank you GPP for the awesome shower and all of your continuous support and love for our family. I love hearing about all of you everyday when Erick comes home (we do get to see him on occasion when the tax seasons are over). Ha!



Well, you definitely deserve a special thank you, "true friend" award if you made it through this blog entry. My mouth (fingers) runneth over! Much love to all!

No comments: