November 4, 2008

Getting A Little Political...



So this precious picture of Evan was taken on the day of his first birthday! And although I have never been really "political" on my blog... I thought with the upcoming election, that I would get just a little political. So if you're not up for it, just skip on past this one!

I mainly wanted to do this blog entry for my boys - so that they will know why I dressed Evan in a John McCain shirt and why our family will be voting for the Republican Presidential Candidate - John McCain, this year.

I'll try to make this short and sweet - simply put, I am voting for the person that I believe will glorify God and His plan for this temporary world. And I believe John McCain is that person in this candidacy. I am voting with my heart, my faith and my family values. There are so many important issues in the world - and of course, I believe that economic, health care and energy issues are important. But for me, there are other causes that weigh heavier on my heart and are more important to me personally.

Most of you probably know that I am as pro-life as a person can get... I believe that life begins at conception and that once life is made, it is in God's hands and His will should be done. I don't think it's our place to "choose" whether a child will live or die. I believe it's a child, not a choice and I believe it's a matter of a child's body - and not the argument of a "woman's body". I made sure that Erick knew before giving birth to both of our children that under no circumstance are you to choose my life over our child's life... you leave it in God's hands. If it's my time to go, I am ready! I say these things because it's a cause that I am passionate about, because every day 4,000 babies are aborted. And I'm not saying that they are aborted easily or without thought - I know it is a difficult choice; but I also believe that two wrongs don't make a right. I support abstinence, adoption and support for un-prepared mothers.

So, with as much money as we put into saving trees, polar bears and an earth that I believe is strong and will survive... I wish that we would invest more into the culture of America - our family values. I was very moved when John McCain actually said, regarding abortion, that "we have to change the culture of America". I completely agree with that, as I agree with many things that he has said... I don't think that anywhere in the bible it says that we should value the needs of this world over the needs of God's children. I mean, how many children have died of starvation as we invest our money in "green" technology? It's important to be good stewards of this earth - but it honestly does not make me sleep better at night knowing that my light bulb is more energy efficient.

And I do not like war - but I believe that it is sometimes a necessary measure to protect us from the evil that exists in this world - again, we want our children to have trees and a clean earth - but we don't want their country to be free of terrorists? We don't want them to be able to have the same citizen rights that we enjoy today as Americans, the rights that have been paid for with many lives? And I mourn for those soldiers who have died for our country - and I am very grateful. Because of them and soldiers before them, I have the right to have this blog, voice my opinion, worship my Lord and Savior openly, send my children to school and live in the greatest country in the world!

I don't believe that we can blame the economy on our President. I blame us - we Americans tend to take things for granted and act selfish I think - sorry, but we do! We are the most obese country in the world, which means we eat too much (I know I eat too much)! It would only make sense that we spend too much (I know I spend too much)! And I believe that's why we're in this situation - too many companies and individuals spending money when they don't have it! Hopefully many lessons are being learned and I have no doubt our economy will bounce back stronger than ever! God promised us challenges and heartache and hard times - I think we take advantage of being able to "blame" someone for the problems in the world. I choose to live in this country and I consider it a great privilege and honor to be an American. Thank you, Jesus, for putting me in this place. And if I didn't love this country - guess what I also have the freedom to do... leave!

And since I live with a tax accountant, let me briefly say that I think all of us who pay taxes pay enough taxes! I think that we should focus on the people living in our country that don't pay taxes, that are benefiting from our country, its systems. Let's find those people and hold them accountable. Let's impress on the government to be better handlers of our money and not raise taxes and take much needed money out of this economy. To be honest - how many millions of dollars have these two candidates spent on their campaigns over the last two years... sure wish we could have invested some of that money? Sure, it's important for them to be heard so that we can form our opinion - but ads were still running yesterday... I think we've all heard enough.

But no matter who wins this election for President - I will pray for them, I will be patient with them and even support them as the leader of our country. Because after all, God is in control and His plan will be done no matter who takes office.

Thanks for listening! Please know that I love you all - friends and family, conservative or liberal... I hope you respect my opinion as much as I would respect yours. Nothing said here was intended to offend or upset - just a little glimpse into my thoughts, my heart.

2 comments:

The Sutherland Family said...

Rock on Sister! I agree with it all!

Love,
Susan

SHERYL said...

Amanda - I couldn't have written more beautifully, in every regard. Wow. And I'm reading it way AFTER the elections are over.

I can't wait for our photo session and to meet you again. Heather told me that I met you once at Lauren's house for Heather's baby shower almost 4 years ago! :)

Well, after reading this - I know why Heather adores you!

Thank you for posting. It made me tear up!