January 14, 2009

Thoughts From A 7-Year Old

You know, sometimes your kids just say things that make you laugh, or wonder or stand there in amazement - they are so funny, so smart... and I want to make sure I remember these little moments! So, here are a few things that Preston has shared with me over the last few weeks... enjoy!

So we were out looking at Christmas lights a few days before Christmas, and we were in a neighborhood that goes ALL OUT and has very elaborate themes and lights. We came upon this one house, the star of the night, it even had a sign that it had won best house! It was unbelievable, it put Clark W. Griswold to shame - and it was tasteful and beautiful! We just stopped and stared at it. And then Preston said "Wow, I'd pay like $600 for someone to do that to my house. Well, I'd pay them $600, but then they'd have to give me $5 back." Ha! In other words, this work was worth $595 to Preston! Hilarious! And by the way, this was easily a $7,000-$8,000 job! I too, would have paid $600 for this Christmas light extravaganza - okay, I'd pay $595!

A few weeks before Christmas I had eyed this watch at the Fossil store and apparently Erick took note and had been looking for this watch to give to me for Christmas, but it was never in stock... so I assumed they just didn't have it anymore and I had already told Erick not to buy me anything big for Christmas - this mom is always buying things she doesn't need! Well, a couple of days after Christmas Erick took Preston to the mall to get a haircut and I stayed home with Evan... well, when they got home I asked Preston - "What all did you do at the mall, did you get to go to the bookstore or anything?" To which Preston replied, "Mom, we went to the Fossil Store and we bought you something!"... then he stared at me for a moment and said "Oh, I was SO NOT supposed to say that!" Secret out of bag... Erick came downstairs and Preston said "Well, I didn't tell her WHAT we bought her."... to which Dad replied, "You didn't have to, son." Oh, our little secret keeper... hey, at least he's honest!

Preston and I were driving around the other day and he asked me, "Mom, when I go to college will I be driving?" I said, "Yes, you'll drive when you are in high school." Preston's eyes lit up and he said, "So when I'm in college and I'm not studying, I'll be able to drive myself to a restaurant?" Hmmm.... "Well, yes" I said... he was so excited that he would one day be able to take himself to a restaurant, oh the little things. He then told me that he would "definitely be driving himself to Taco Bueno." Ha!

Oh, and when Preston got in the car this week from school he informed me that "when I grow up I want to be a waitress". "A waitress?" I said. Hmmmm... I did have to inform him that a waitress was a woman, to which he chuckled. Not sure what's prompting the fascination with restaurants and food service - but if he loves that industry, can I request him to be a chef? No worries... this is one of MANY professions that he has exhausted, including - paleontologist, worker man, movie director, animal caretaker, architect. Can't wait to find out what he chooses to be!

And while playing his new Wii game, Madden '09, he proceeded to tell me and Erick that he was "in the mode today... mom" Don't know why that just cracked us up!

And last one - we were out to lunch after church with our dear friends, The Bradleys... this is a Sunday tradition. While we were waiting on our food he asked me when he would be able to watch the movie "Top Gun"? I told him that probably not until he was 10 or 12 because it had some bad words in it. He looked at me and said "oh, I know what bad word it has in it... S-H-U-T-U-P". He literally spelled out the words "Shut Up". Of course, you could imagine that our hearts stopped when the word started with "SH" (oh, no!).... but thankfully, this is one of the worst words he knows... for now! We told him "yep, that word is probably in Top Gun."

Hope everyone is well and had a wonderful holiday! I just got a new computer, and I'm so excited for faster blogging... I'm working on catching up! Love to all!

No comments: