June 3, 2008

Awana Award Night



I know Awana isn't as well known as some other clubs (it sure needs to be, spread the word!), but it's a great Christian club that our church so wonderfully hosts. It's a super club that teaches children to be servants for the Lord and for His people. This is Preston's second year in the club. But this was his first year in the "Sparks" program, which starts at Kindergarten. Awana really focuses around teaching children the Word of God, which means memorizing and understanding bible verses. Preston got a new red vest this year and a BIG book of verses that he had to learn in order to earn his patches and jewels for his vest!

Well, when they first handed out the book I looked through it and thought - wow, this is going to be tough this year. The verses Preston had to memorize were pretty long and challenging. But it is amazing how much these little brains can soak in and retain... I am so proud of Preston for finishing his book, learning all of his verses and receiving all of his crown jewels!

Oh, boy - it wasn't easy. Every week you'd have the two most hard-headed people (Preston and myself, of course), trying to learn these verses. It definitely tested our patience with one another, but it was worth it. And honestly, I was so excited to learn these verses myself; it grew my faith and taught me. And Preston was so great to put in all the hard work - he absolutely loved Awana. I pray that learning these verses and being part of Awana will help lead Preston to fully accepting and understanding Christ as his Savior.

"Way to go Preston, way to go... wooop wooop!" (All of you Awana parents will know this cheer!)

Here's a pic of our full crown...

No comments: