December 27, 2008

13th Annual Haunted House Night


So clearly, if Halloween is my favorite holiday... this is one of my favorite nights of the year, honestly! I look forward to our Annual Haunted House Date Night with our dearest friends, the Sutherlands, all year! It is always a truly unforgettable evening - filled with many laughs and screams!

This is our 13th year of doing this; can't believe that - wow! Now, last year - we went out on a date night and were going to go to a haunted house, but then decided not to because I was literally two days away from giving birth to Evan and Aunt Susan thought that her nephew might be born in a haunted house if we went! Ha! So two years of no haunted houses, I was ready!

We always go to at least one haunted house - but most of the time we are able to make it to a couple, and one year even went to three! Oh, yea!!! But with all of those houses after this many years, we get them all mixed up and can't remember which ones we've been to or what they were like... we do have some favorites, and luckily new ones open up every year! There are so many memories.... most of them include Susan being scared half to death and Todd finding something small and making a comedy of it all night!

So for posterity I told Susan I would blog about this year's adventure. Read on if you want all the gory details...

This year we decided to go to Dr. Haunt's Chamber of Fears.... it was quite a drive so we decided that we would just grab dinner at a restaurant on the way, we thought we'd see plenty! But we were kind of out in the middle of nowhere; we saw about 12 Sonic's, but not much else. We had to really look for a place to sit down and eat. Luckily we finally found a Chili's.... what an experience though, this was a SMOKING restaurant (they still exist) and boy was it smokey. I guess when it's the only place you can smoke, all the smokers come here! And then for the joke of the night (Todd always makes sure there is one)... a few tables down from us there was this huge, bright light over a table and it was literally like a spotlight as these poor people tried to eat. I guess they ran out of 60-watt bulbs and replaced it with a 200-watt bulb! Well, Todd couldn't take his eyes off of it - it was the root of many jokes throughout dinner. "I'm blinded and I can't see my food!".... Oh, it's the little things in life... thanks, Todd.

After dinner we headed up I-35 and arrived at the much-anticipated "Chamber of Fears"... sounds scary, huh???? But unfortunately, there were no fears to be had at the Chamber of Fears.... they tried, but failed to scare us professionals! Of course, Todd and Erick are never scared, Susan is always scared half out of her mind (ha!) and then I'm one of those that doesn't scare easily, but certain things freak me out! Certain sounds scare me and rooms where all scenes are around you and you can't see everything at once or back up to a wall, scary! Although this house was not all that scary, it was still a fabulous time! The night is really about being with friends and laughing.... And we were so close to Oklahoma, Todd tried to talk us into driving up to Winstar for a couple of hours.... he hinted at it every so often. "Hey - Winstar is just a few minutes up the highway guys...."

So below here is one of the Halloween props hanging out at the Cutler house during Halloween. And let me tell you, this guy is pretty creepy! It was our first year to put him together and I'm not ashamed to tell you that he kind of creeped me out! He is the size of a person and when you catch him out of the corner of your eye when it's kind of dark in the house, you really think someone is in the house - he made me jump on more than one occasion! And let me tell you how that began.... so for several days I had asked Erick to put together this guy, but he was still in the box for a while... well, I had to go to the grocery store one night and as I'm coming in the door with groceries in hand late at night, I look down the hallway and Erick has put this guy together and has him standing straight up looking right at me as I come in... I thought I was going to have an accident, my heart skipped a beat! And Erick, well he was in the garage laughing hysterically at me! So from that point, it was on.... we moved this guy around our house scaring each other all month. And even Preston got into it... when we were out at haunted houses, he and Aunt Tasha moved him into our bathroom and he scared me half to death as he was standing there in the dark staring at me! Ahhhhh!!! Preston couldn't wait to wake up to see if he had scared mom! Oh, no - we have created another Halloween prankster - watch out! Why do we torture ourselves, we're so sick... love it!

So hopefully I have remembered and bored you with a few details of our 13th Annual Haunted House Night!! Susan, this was for you!! Looking forward to next year!

No comments: